Friday, May 14, 2010

HEXINKs

My friend Wes was kind enough to give me a penciled page from his manga series Hex'd to practice my inking skills on...
Now, I'm no manga artist. I remembered as I inked this. In fact, I remember very clearly really ripping a talented young artist Paul Dybowski because he was doing manga style... and this was during the fever pitch of the Image frenzy when my stuff looked like Liefeld's. But that was a lifetime ago and I hope he ignored me. Now I can appreciate the speed manga artists must use to produce their work, and the expanded opportunities that the pace affords to engage a reader emotionally. 

But when you drink a six-pack of Mountain Dew every day, you kind of have to cross-hatch...

 This page took about an hour and a half to ink, and I viddied it. If you want to WATCH, that takes about 9 minutes. Mute the sound if you like, but I think my chipmunk chatter adds to the ambience.

Meanwhile, check out Wes' site. He's got a Daily Dragon experiment that puts me to shame. Great creativity and draftsmanship.

UPDATE: Everyone who had read this and watched the YouTube viddie (all 3 of you) has asked what music is playing in the bg while I inked...



1 comment: